Do you have a favorite slow cooker recipe?
I certainly do. Taco Soup!
Although, I’m not sure if it’s a soup. It’s more like chili. So super easy to assemble. Just dump it in, set the timer, and know you’ve got something delicious to eat.
Why do I love Taco Soup?
Because it’s perfect for football season or feeding a crowd or delivering to someone who needs a meal. Make it on Mondays to kick-off a busy week. Make it on the weekends to cozy in. Make it when you want to take a break from cooking to enjoy a good book.
Taco Soup will be a hit with your family and the leftovers taste even better the next day. The easy-to-stock ingredients go in my grocery cart every time I shop, and I serve it with Fritos, Mexican 4-cheese “sprinkle” cheese, and sour cream. YUM.
Taco Soup Recipe
The following is based on your using a large slow cooker.
– 6 single, raw, boneless chicken breasts
– 2 pkgs powdered taco seasoning*
– 2 large cans tomato sauce**
– 2 cans corn, drained***
– 2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed***
Optional: 1 large finely chopped onion
1. Layer the chicken breasts on the bottom of your slow cooker.
2. I sprinkle the powdered taco seasoning onto the chicken breasts, but you can dump the ingredients into the slow cooker in any order you please.
3. Cook according to whatever setting your slow cooker requires to get that chicken cooked. On my slow cooker, that tends to be 4.5 hours on high. Remember! Never lift the top off your slow cooker while it’s cooking.
4. When your slow cooker has done its job and you think the chicken is fully cooked, pull a breast out and test it with a meat thermometer. If it’s cooked, place it back into the slow cooker, and then reach into the slow cooker using two forks to shred the chicken breasts into small pieces. Give the ingredients a stir, then enjoy!
I serve it with Fritos brand corn chips, a side of Mexican 4-cheese “sprinkle” cheese, and sour cream.
Questions about Taco Soup?
If you have any questions about my Taco Soup recipe, shoot me an email. Happy to help.
What’s your favorite slow cooker recipe?
Share it with me. I’d love to try it and who knows, I might feature it in a future newsletter. 🙂
* I use the taco seasoning that comes in envelope packages. I typically grab “original” flavor. You can use whatever you want, mild, medium, hot, etc.
** I use the smooth, pureed tomato sauce, but you can certainly use the sauce with the chopped tomatoes. Totally your call. You can’t go wrong with this recipe.
***I use what I think is called a #2 can. It’s not the super large can (although, if you love corn and/or black beans, then go for the super large can), it’s the normal size can you’d typically imagine when imagining a Campbell’s Soup can. (Campbell’s Soup products are not part of this recipe. I mention it here only as a “standard” to help you imagine the size of can I’m talking about.)